Covid-19 Anxiety, Depression and the unkown.
I could continue down this rabbit hole of how anxiety leads to depression, but this isn't that blog post. This post is about how a simple hug, turned me around.
What started out as just simply trying to keep up with the most recent news, lead to anxiety. What fed the anxiety, led to depression. Fortunately for myself, I have learned how to, sometimes successfully, self diagnose. Sometimes it takes a few weeks, and sometimes, like last week, I noticed what was happening in a few days. I stopped, looked at my husband and told him I wasn't okay. He took me in his arms and just held me. That's it. That was all I needed. Instead of staying in my head, I put it out there in words for someone else to hear. I put it out there to the person I knew would just hold me. Granted we usually have the "you know what you need to do" talk later, but it's those few seconds in that hug that set things back in the opposite direction. He's my reset button, for sure. After 20 years, he's reset me I can't tell you how many times. It's definitely gotten easier to see the signs over the years, but it hasn't been without our rough times. And it's definitely been easier to just tell him, instead of using my coping mechanisms to show him.
I wont say that I was/am 100%. The anxiety and depression are always there. They come in waves, throughout the day/s. However, knowing that I was going down the dark spiral has made me more aware of my emotions this last week. It's one day at a time. I, myself, have to keep my eye on it. No one can really pull me out, they can just help. I have to put in the work to bring myself out. Writing my thoughts down, dancing with my husband on the patio, watching movies with my kiddos, going for family walks, drinking more water and getting more sun are those healthy coping skills I've learned and have used these past few days. Seeing all those peoples faces on Friday, was also some much needed food for my soul.
Today, was the first day we woke up before noon. Today I went for my regular morning walk with Delilah. Today, is looking to be a good day. If I need to reset, I can.... and so can you.



Comments
Post a Comment