Covid-19 Chaos Coordinators


I saw a post a few days ago saying that during this time, we as a civilization should be journaling our every day while we embark on the new normal due to the Covid-19 Pandemic of 2020. I've contemplated just buying a journal and having the kids and I write. For the kids, I may just do that. There is also the option of just asking them daily questions and adding their answers into my blog posts. Only time will tell.

Today we embark on week 2 of our Covid-19 pause on everyday life, or Coronacation as one of my coworkers dubbed it. This week was supposed to be our "Spring Break." On Thursday, March 19th, 2020 our state of New Mexico closed all schools and told everyone to stay home until April 6th. Here is my personal view from the days following......


My view as a Staff Member at a local school:
The Friday prior to the 3 week closure was utter chaos for teachers and staff. They had been informed, only hours prior (the same time parents were informed, 8pm the night before) that the school would be closed. There were no clear directives other than what the closures times would be, March 16th-April 6th. Teachers were not sure what they were supposed to be doing, all the while still trying to teach their students for one last day. Things running through their minds were: What am I supposed to have for my students to do during the closure? Am I supposed to be getting work back and grading it? What about my students who rely on the school for food and safety? Do I need to pack up my room and remove my personal stuff so they can clean? Do I send my students home with ALL of their stuff? Will I be able to get back into my classroom during this closure? Will my students have to still take their state testing when they get back? Will we be making up the time and go into summer? HOW or WILL I GET PAID? What about my own personal needs (the last thing that they were all worried about, so remember that)?

As a staff member not in a set classroom, I was assisting them in anyway I could, keeping the computer lab open so they could stop and breathe. I watched their classes as they checked their emails, tried to make copies for students, answered the barrage of emails from parents, went to the bathroom (because we all know teachers don't get to use the bathroom) and just processed everything from the past 24 hours and on. It was a stressful day, to say the least. The students were feeling the unease, even with the staff trying their best to answer all questions and concerns they had. When they say that teachers are Chaos Coordinators, this day was a perfect example. They all worked that day, with smiles on their faces and some with tears in their eyes. This is only the surface of all the madness of that day. Our staff is amazing, I miss them and that day I realized even more how amazing they are. By the end of the school day, they had no more information other than they would not be allowed into the building during the closure and they could not send educational stuff home for their students. By the end of the actual day, they were told students could not have work issued to them via virtual platforms either, they would not be making up the missed time and go into summer, ALL students would have a daily meal provided during the closure and school would commence on April 6th.

At week 2 of the closure, they still don't know what the future for the remainder of the school year holds. Will they get to say goodbye to their students? Some they won't get to see because Military Children life and those students will have been able to move. Will students be repeating their year if it ends here? How are their "at risk" students doing? How will the DATA affect them next year? I know I'm not even touching the surface of the worries they have, but I know they aren't sitting around basking in the time they are forced to stay home. With many schools around the country closing for the remainder of the year, they are left to wonder if that will be their fate.


I ended my work day disinfecting the computer lab as best I could, shut off every computer and locked the door. I walked away from the building, not knowing if I'd be back in there soon, would I see my co-workers, not knowing if I'd be paid (all substitutes were being told they were not being paid unless they came in during the closure to work) and a lot of other uncertainties about my work future.

I've since been informed that because I held a LTS position (Long Term Substitute) I would be paid for the 2 work weeks during the closure. From there, I don't know. I'll be fine because my income isn't "needed" for us to survive. I have many of my coworkers on FB to keep in touch with virtually. I haven't seen any of them in person since the closure. We are all still working hard, even while trying to live this new normal. It is because of them and our wonderful school liaison that I was able to create the "Covid-19 Virtual Learning Tools" document. They may not have students in a classroom, but they are still trying to make sure families around them know what virtual tools they have available during this time. They are educators all day, everyday. The yearbook is also in the works. It may have some holes to fill for events that we could not hold, but the hope is that our students will have a book full of the memories from their time at HES this year, even if it was cut short. *If you wish to share any FREE virtual learning tools that are not listed on the document I have linked above, please email me at: sariahbaze@gmail.com The document is view online. You can share the link by copying and pasting the web url.

Comments

Popular Posts